1. Janet Becker
    Janet Becker July 6, 2012 at 1:59 pm | | Reply

Loved this blog Jenny!!!!! I’ll be pouring tons of positive energy your way in mid-July! Of course you’ll be a huge hit!!!!!

Man… your tip about the Bernina #43 foot is super! I don’t have that foot… but, can see it will be in my repertoire in the near future!

Glad to also hear about the glycerin. My favorite free motion gunk is “Non Stick Finger” by Clover. It is hard to find, though. I just won’t wear gloves because I need the tactile sensation of bare hands and I don’t want to have to take the gloves off to cut or thread my needle.

I see you’re a regular at Angel Quilters now. So good to know your business is growing and growing!!!!!

Janet

jennyklyon July 6, 2012 at 4:56 pm | | Reply

Janet, what kind words! I could totally see you doing something awesome with #43 on garments! You can’t really see it in the photos, but the bubble motif looks so mod, so 60′s retro and I could see it or other motifs in a lighter cord on garments. What ‘s that called-passementerie?

2. candy
    candy July 6, 2012 at 2:29 pm | | Reply

I also have become One Who Binds by Machine! At least most of the time. :-)

jennyklyon July 6, 2012 at 4:50 pm | | Reply

Ah yes, what a relief it is!

3. Kris Sazaki
    Kris Sazaki July 6, 2012 at 4:58 pm | | Reply

Love the glycerin tip! Can’t wait to see the quilts live!

jennyklyon July 6, 2012 at 7:42 pm | | Reply

See ya there!

quiltfever July 6, 2012 at 5:22 pm | | Reply

Very cool invention–quilting and couching at the same time–for distance teaching! Good luck with your presentation.

jennyklyon July 6, 2012 at 7:42 pm | | Reply

Yeah those Bernina people came up with a good one there. Thank you!

5. Rebecca Grace
    Rebecca Grace July 6, 2012 at 5:34 pm | | Reply

You know, I have that Footsie #43 Free Motion Couching foot for my Bernina, but I’ve never used it. You’re inspiring me! I wonder if there’s any chance that the little loop thingy is still with the foot? Thanks for posting the photo of where that attaches, by the way — sometimes the Bernina instructions can be a little, um, MURKY — a picture is worth a thousand words.

I think your oversized, couched yarn FMQ is really interesting in its own right. It would be a fabulous way to embellish a handbag or home dec pillow, or even a sweaterknit cardigan for fall… Because I believe in purity through self-flagellation in the sewing room, which is what I’d be going through as I tried to figure out how to stabilize some lacy sweaterknit for FMQ couching without losing the stretch or changing the hand… ;-)

jennyklyon July 6, 2012 at 7:45 pm | | Reply

Rebecca you will be amused to find out that this is my second foot because I lost the little loop thingy as well as the wire that helps you thread your fiber into the foot! I definitely was seeing garments and accessories embellished with that foot. I love your remark “purity through self flagellation in the sewing room”! Do you do that too??

Laura Conowitch July 6, 2012 at 6:06 pm | | Reply

Love the post Jenny! I haven’t tried the glycerin, but it is going on my list. I’m looking forward to your binding tutorial too. I agree with Rebecca…your oversized fmq could have lots of applications on a larger scale. I’m sure that you will impress everyone…both with your personality, and with your skills!

jennyklyon July 6, 2012 at 7:46 pm | | Reply

Thank you Laura! I think you’ll actually like the glycerin-wish I could remember whose blog I saw it on recently to give her credit.

8. Marcia
    Marcia July 6, 2012 at 8:13 pm | | Reply

More great lessons, Jenny. Viking has a couching foot, too. I guess I need to get it out of the box and see how it works! I might even have one for my Bernina. Yikes. the search is on again.

jennyklyon July 6, 2012 at 10:27 pm | | Reply

What, you can’t find something in your sewing room?? I think you need more stuff!

10. Roxane Lessa
    Roxane Lessa July 8, 2012 at 4:13 pm | | Reply

Hey, I’m going to try the glycerin thing! Thanks for sharing. I haven’t tried that foot yet. I usually pre-glue my yarn first then stitch it down. I hope they hire you!

jennyklyon July 8, 2012 at 5:14 pm | | Reply

I actually never thought to pre-glue the yarn-good idea. I’ve been using the glycerin for the last few days instead of gloves and it works fine. I’ve been doing it on a small piece so I’ll have to see if it is still effective with a big heavy piece. It’s only a $5 decision to use the glycerin!

11. Franki Kohler
    Franki Kohler July 8, 2012 at 4:39 pm | | Reply

Great tips! The glycerin has my attention. Many thanks.

jennyklyon July 8, 2012 at 5:16 pm | | Reply

I am curious what you think about using the glycerin if you try it-it’s so cheap that it’s not a big deal to try it. Use just a little though-like a pea size, well maybe a big pea but not a dime!