July Free Motion Quilting Challenge

This month’s challenge on SewCalGal’s blog is by Angela Walters, a professional long armer, author and young Modern Quilter. She showed us how to use “tiles” as background fill. I really like the concept and probably will use it in future projects-thank you Angela!

I have to admit, I am currently on the cusp of being burned out, so I only did a small section. My Visible Learning Curve is present: you will see in the lower left hand corner I started out using a different motif in each tile. That looked too busy. So I started to use the bubble motif in each tile-much better. But still, the tile part of “tiling” didn’t really show up. Finally at the end I made the surrounding frame fatter and that I liked. Also, this would have benefitted greatly from a better thread choice. Because there is a significant amount of backtracking involved, this would be much better with 100 wt silk thread. See how it gets a bit thready?I had to take this photo showing the work in shadow-don’t ya just love the texture that wool batting gives? All those plump little areas are so filled with texture-love that!

1. Marcia
    Marcia July 31, 2012 at 1:20 pm | | Reply

What you do always looks like magic to me!

jennyklyon August 1, 2012 at 12:55 am | | Reply

Thank you Marcia!

2. Barb@Witsend
    Barb@Witsend July 31, 2012 at 4:57 pm | | Reply

Jenny – I found the fatter borders looked better too. Your work look amazing. I really like the effect of the wool batting. I’m going to have to try that soon.
    Barb@Witsend

jennyklyon August 1, 2012 at 12:32 am | | Reply

Thank you Barb-I just checked out your blog and see you came to the same conclusion about the borders! Fun blog-I’m subscribed now!

Laura Conowitch July 31, 2012 at 8:26 pm | | Reply

Jenny, I also like the fat borders better. And I like the consistency of the same design in each of the tiles, be it pebbles, stippling, or whatever. The wool batt provides wonderful texture!

jennyklyon August 1, 2012 at 12:33 am | | Reply

Thanks Laura-I always have to stitch it out before I figure out what looks best, sigh!

4. Franki Kohler
    Franki Kohler July 31, 2012 at 10:52 pm | | Reply

Oh dear. . . I checked out the SewCalGal’s site. I think I’m in trouble. Thank you! I wonder what using just 2 patterns in the tiles would look like.

jennyklyon August 1, 2012 at 12:34 am | | Reply

Yes Franki-the Challenge is pretty cool and it’s very interesting to see what everyone is doing. 2 patterns might be very interesting. I do think I will be using this motif.

6. Pat
    Pat August 1, 2012 at 2:40 am | | Reply

Yes, I like the wider borders better too, but especially I love the way your pebbles pop in these photos!

jennyklyon August 1, 2012 at 4:05 am | | Reply

Thank you Pat! I’m a sucker for that texture.

7. What Comes Next?
    What Comes Next? August 1, 2012 at 4:16 am | | Reply

I like seeing your progression – the thicker borders and consistent fill work for me. Hope you can relax and recover soon – burn out’s no fun.

jennyklyon August 1, 2012 at 12:35 pm | | Reply

Thank you for that encouragement-I think I need to walk away for just a bit, but I have so much to do! It’s a cycle. As to the stitching, I do try to show my ups and downs, my “Visible Learning Curve”.

8. Rebecca Grace
    Rebecca Grace August 1, 2012 at 2:59 pm | | Reply

Hi, Jenny. Thanks for the encouraging comment about MY “visible learning curve.” I decided I just have to work through it, knowing that the quilting on this quilt is the best I can do TODAY, and I won’t ever get better at it if I give up just because it isn’t perfect. And it’s ugly… I considered ripping out those “flame” things after I’d done eight blocks, but there were too many places where the stitches accidentally got really tiny and I don’t think I COULD get them out without damaging the quilt.

Your July sample is lovely — you have one fill pattern that reminds me of little coffee beans! They are probably really leaves, now that I look closer, but if you rounded off the tip instead of having a point, they would look just like the beans I ground for my morning coffee. I love your pebbles, too.

jennyklyon August 1, 2012 at 4:40 pm | | Reply

Rebecca-You have the PERFECT attitude for success! “Just move forward” is my motto. Today’s quilting cannot be perfect, I can only get better every day. If I spend my days ripping out what I do not like, I will not move forward. Go girl!

9. Roxane Lessa
    Roxane Lessa August 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm | | Reply

Fabulous quilting, I need to share this technique with my peeps- they will love it!

jennyklyon August 1, 2012 at 4:13 pm | | Reply

Oh thank you Roxane, glad you enjoyed it-I enjoy sharing!