1. Roxane Lessa
    Roxane Lessa September 17, 2012 at 1:26 pm | | Reply

I like chalk marking with various chalk or Bohn pencils. You can change the colors easily. Also a sliver of soap works great too.

jennyklyon September 17, 2012 at 3:23 pm | | Reply

I found that the Bohn’s worked off the fabric as I worked or they wore down to be so light that I couldn’t see them. Is there any trick that you have or have you not experienced this? I love their thin line and ease of removal.

quirksltd September 17, 2012 at 3:19 pm | | Reply

Masking tape or painter’s tape! You make one line and then pick up and lay your tape down as you go. You can always get several lines done before you need a new piece of tape and the tape comes in a wide range of sizes. I usually use the width of my presser foot to make small grids…I don’t think I even own a marking pen anymore. But then, I rarely do any quilting that isn’t totally free motion. I can’t follow a line!

jennyklyon September 17, 2012 at 3:24 pm | | Reply

So you do that AS you quilt? Hmm, never tried that-I will try it! Beats the whole marking, removing, etc.

4. Helen
    Helen September 17, 2012 at 3:46 pm | | Reply

Do all of the marking that you need before you layer the quilt. No fun once the batting is under the top. On slinky fabric try sandpaper (fine) under the fabric while you are marking, it really helps. I’ve also used tape-as-you-quilt, it works well but don’t leave it on too long or where it can get warm. Grids? That’s what the funny L-shaped things that go on your walking foot are for. I’ll bet they are still in the box.

jennyklyon September 17, 2012 at 4:01 pm | | Reply

Helen I never know what I’m going to quilt before I layer. The few times I have marked before I layered, I changed my mind! Ahhh, if only….

As to the walking foot attachment, I’d have to use the walking foot! That means I’d have to move the whole quilt for every line. I do 90 degree turns at the end of every line so that it’s continuous. Not sure if the words convey this well, but using the walking foot on a grid in an area with a 4″ border means either a whole lot of starts and stops or moving the quilt 90 degrees every 4″.

I have used the walking foot attachments a number of times, also tried to use the width of my free motion foot for grids, but I find that both methods result in wobbly lines-just not as accurate. I must be hopeless…

5. Marcia Russell
    Marcia Russell September 18, 2012 at 12:26 am | | Reply

Jenny, I hope you are keeping all your posts and pictures for the book you need to be writing. Your observations, trials and rescues need to be shared on a larger scale. So much information!

jennyklyon September 18, 2012 at 3:50 am | | Reply

Aw thanks! It’s just that I make soooo many mistakes……

6. Rebecca Grace
    Rebecca Grace September 19, 2012 at 11:21 pm | | Reply

I am terrified of marking. All I ever hear is horror stories about markings that disappeared too soon, or worse — that REAPPEARED after washing and refused to go away. I read once that BALL POINT PENS were recommended marking pens for quilters when they were first invented. I wonder how many quilters committed suicide over that one?!

jennyklyon September 20, 2012 at 1:47 am | | Reply

I too am pretty careful about what I use to mark with. As long as I am willing to wash my quilt, and I can see my marks, and I’m careful about heat setting, I’ll use the blue wash outs. Obviously though, they are not foolproof. This is why I try to not mark!