1. Kelly
    Kelly April 30, 2012 at 1:13 pm | | Reply

Gorgeous as is!

If you wanted to make the Lily stand out more, you could make it larger or quilt it with larger or more contrasting thread.

Your curves are stunning. Any tips on how I can get my “Flutter” feathers that smooth?

jennyklyon April 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm | | Reply

Thank you Kelly! Sure, to get your feathers smooth you just practice. Honestly, that is the “secret”. I spent a lot of time examining my own feathers and then looking at others that I admire like Diane Gaudynski. I did not want to replicate hers, but I did learn so much from her and her work: how she transitioned, the beauty of their shape, etc. When I was learning to do feathers I had these kind of words in my little head: voluptuous, bulbous, Rubenesque, pendulous, etc-so silly but it helped me make my feathers “nothing but curve”. Your work is gorgeous btw!

3. Carol
    Carol April 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm | | Reply

I would think about doing more echo quilting around the lilly before going into the flutter fill. I think that would allow the eye to see it and still allow you to use the filler. Carol

Laura Conowitch April 30, 2012 at 3:32 pm | | Reply

Jenny, I don’t have suggestions, but I definitely love your quilting!

5. Marti Meadows
    Marti Meadows April 30, 2012 at 10:32 pm | | Reply

Beautiful work! To make the lily stand out, I think I would try a strong contrasting thread. However, if you were using the flutter and the lily as a back ground fill it would be stunning. It would make the viewer stop and look at the secondary design.

jennyklyon May 1, 2012 at 1:36 am | | Reply

Thank you all for the suggestions. I had it in my head that I wanted to use the Sparkle thread, the lily motif and the flutter background-thinking now that not all of that can be in the same space. When I echo that long stretch of stem, it just goes weird and dead. I think I have to lose the Sparkle and go with a higher contrast-yup!