I finished my class with Lynne Pillus on “Color Doesn’t Matter” and I can’t wait to finish my piece! We learned to use value, not color to create a representational art quilt. I’m working from a beloved photo of a scene from a cherished family vacation in Bend, Oregon. We had rented a gorgeous, sprawling home on the Deschutes River and had The Best Time as a family.
Our oldest son is an avid outdoor adventurer and he actually listened to his Mother about protecting his skin from all that sun. He is known for his generously sized cowboy hat. I took this candid snap of his hat resting on the bedpost of his vacation bed. To me it holds a bucket full of wonderful memories. This was the photo I wanted to work from.
This is not meant to be a tutorial. I am merely sharing the highpoints of the process of rendering this precious photo into an art piece using non-representational colors. I have long wanted to learn how to do this and it takes a few times through the process for me to get this.
The process started here with an 8 x 10 print of the photo. Lynne helped us figure out how to separate and label the parts of the photo into 8 different values.
Because we were going to do raw edge applique, Lynne suggested that we use batik fabrics exclusively, since their tight weave would prevent raveled edges. We took all our fabrics and sorted them into the 8 values, then placed each in a baggie labeled with the appropriate value. Our choices within each value were to be random.
We took that transparency to a local print shop and had it enlarged to about 17″ x 22″.
We took a black base fabric and fused it with Steam-A-Seam 2 on a space just a wee bit larger than our enlarged copy. Then using white Saral transfer paper and freezer paper, we transferred those marking from the enlarged copy onto the black Steam-A-Seam-ed fabric. This gave us a sticky and marked surface to put individual pattern pieces upon.
We started this process by cutting out 8-10 piece “hunks” out of the freezer paper.
We used an X-Acto knife to cut out our hunks. And you do NOT want to do this on your good cutting mat-it will tear it up!
We extracted individual pieces from the “hunk” with the X-Acto….
And randomly chose a piece of fabric from the appropriate fabric pile. We ironed the freezer paper piece on to the fabric and…
Cut it out using a tiny 18mm rotary cutter. Again, not on my good mat!
That piece then found its home on the Steam-A-Seam-ed background and was finger pressed down. The Steam-A-Seam will hold it into place until you are happy with the results.. Then you do a complete and final press to secure the pieces permanently.
And here is the piece so far. I am loving the way it is turning out and I can’t wait to finish it! I have tried to work this way before and like many other techniques, it seems to take more than one class before I get it.
I’m linking to Nina-Marie’s Off the Wall Friday as usual-please go see the links from other artists and see what they’re up to.