It seems like every whole cloth quilt hits a point where the quilting gets tedious. I am at that point on my table cloth whole cloth quilt. I chose to use a 12 wt thread to outline all of the motifs. That is a super beefy thread and I felt like it needed that thickness to highlight the design. Choosing a thick thread meant that I would have to bury all my thread ends. With a thinner thread I can just take 8 – 10 tiny stitches and snip my thread, that will hold. But you can’t do that with a thick thread. I will have buried 1.5 million thread ends by the time this is done:
Every one of those lines has a buried thread at its end. And that produces this:
That’s a lot of thread ends!
I also chose to micro stipple around the edge and in between the motifs to make them pop. Oh that is tedious too! I rarely stipple, almost never, but after trying several other micro fills including bubbles, this looked the best. I usually use a blending thread, not a high contrast thread. But the design needed that contrast to pop. So it feels like progress is slow.
I did mock up what it’s going to look like with the rick-rack edging:
Like that! I had a thought about the border:
I want the feel of this quilt to be casual, not formal. I did not want some fancy edge treatment yet I did not want a simple straight edge. I like the idea of a bunch of buttons around the border. I also auditioned Prairie Points as well as yo-yos but neither seemed a fit. I think the buttons will be lovely. I’m thinking I will use my button foot and sew them on by machine. That too will take awhile…
Between the additional weight of the linen table cloth and the buttons, this thing is going to be heavy!
I used the Aurifil brand for my 12 wt thread and it is a little linty. I chose the Aurifil over other brands because of that somewhat rough cuticle – it almost looks hand-stitched and I like that look. I knew that I would need to keep on top of the lint in my machine, doing that much quilting with a linty thread.
This is a really good example of why you need to keep your machine clean. I started out by sweeping out the lint in the bobbin case. You can use all kinds of things but my preferred weapon is a makeup brush. I got it all clean:
Looks good right? Nope, let’s go one step further by dropping the little door that holds the bobbin case holder in:
And we’re still not done, let’s got one step further:
There’s still lint behind the race. It took my skinny tweezers to get this out:
Bottom line, you need to remove the bobbin case as well as the hook race on front loaders and ideally you keep up with this as you go along. If you’re using a linty thread, be vigilant – it may save you frustration and a service call.
On other matters, I’m contacting all my guilds to reschedule:
It’s a sad and frustrating process. I will so miss being at guilds, meeting my students, helping them with the skills they need to have fun free motion quilting, feeling the synergy of the classroom. I may write a whole post on why I teach. We all need to be safe. But I crave a guild meeting, a quilt show, a classroom full of eager students, talking with other people. It will wait and this will pass. In the meantime I am still having a blast being able to create most of the day.
Surely there is hope and a future world where we can hug and gather.
I’ll link up as always with Nina-Marie’s Off the Wall Friday!