I’m crazy busy this week prepping for my 3-day Free Motion Freedom Seminar this week but I’m excited too! I did have a finish:
Each year SAQA‘s premier fundraising event is an auction of 12″ x 12″ works created and donated by members. All proceeds help support SAQA’s exhibition programs, publications, and education outreach. The auction will run September 9 through October 2 and donations are due June 30th. I wanted to get ahead of the game as I am desperately trying to finish a piece for Houston due May 26!
I started with an ice dye by Debra Linker. I did not use the whole panel in my piece. I kinda hated to waste any of its beauty, but I really wanted to use it for my auction piece. This is my first try at using an ice dye in a whole cloth. I wanted to use my quilting to capture and enhance the beauty of the ice dye:
It doesn’t have a name yet. I think I did a decent job of capturing the beauty of the pattern. It killed me to leave some blank spaces unquilted, but ultimately I think those unquilted areas add to the beauty of the piece. And, there is still time to add more quilting if I decide it needs more.
I’m still a little nervous about leaving all that unquilted space, but it’s so pretty!
I deliberately left the back plain to show the quilting. Me likes it!
I heavily quilted the areas in the middle of each side, hoping to enhance the feathers.
I also unearthed some work from a few years ago that I didn’t know what to do with:
That is only a partial shot of the piece and it doesn’t show the color well. The background is a light blue dupioni silk and all the “flowers” are silk also. The colors are glorious. I think this will be my next project. It will be a wall hanging maybe 50″ x 30′?
In the meantime…
this is under my machine. I am making a much larger piece from the same silk as my Ukrainian piece,but a different silk border. I have looooooved working on this piece and I am super excited about it! It’s not only larger but a more complex design in the center that I am proud of having designed. I can’t wait to have time to work on it again.
I am calling it my #impossiblehoustonproject on my Instagram feed because….it is kind of impossible to try to make that deadline. But dang, I’ve made good progress so far. IF I don’t do something stupid (I would not take any bets on that one), I really could make the deadline. Stay tuned.
I do hope to post photos of quilts in the Paducah show next week. Please be patient with me. Those posts really take a lot of time and I may just not have it.
I will be posting next week about my seminar – I just love to be with my student for several days. They can make so much headway when I can work with them for 3 – 5 days. I’m excited to share my experience with you!
I’ll share at: