Last Thursday had one of those rare moments that you want to savor-I received two acceptance notices in the same day. I was juried into a regional show of Studio Art Quilt Associates and I was also notified that some of my work will be included in an upcoming book by Sandra Sider titled “1000 Quilt Inspirations”. I don’t know how many of my photos will be included in the book-I submitted the maximum of 10 and will be notified later how many were chosen.
I’ve been mum about the quilt that was accepted since I didn’t want to show it until after it was juried in-or not. It will be included in the Northern California Inspirations exhibit at the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles that will show from May 3 – July 20, 2014. This exhibit will show concurrently with two parts of the traveling Quilt National ’13 show, a must-see exhibit for textile art enthusiasts!
I’ve titled my quilt “Breeze II” which is again inspired by my drought tolerant landscape, like Morning Breeze. I wanted to capture the beauty that happens when a breeze just begins to move the grasses.
I quilted this in two stages. First I covered the entire quilt surface with echo quilting using Kimono silk thread top and bobbin. I came back in and added the grasses using Aurifil thread on top.
And maybe no one else cares, but I love the backs of my quilts. If you could see this in person you would appreciate the lovely sheen of the gray silk Kimono thread against the black sateen. Oh how I love silk thread!
I was in a brief 80/20 batting phase for this quilt (80% cotton/20% polyester) and used 2 layers of batting. I have seen several competitive quilters use the 80/20, but after just a few quilts I have decided I’m not a fan.
Of course there are always problems with any quilt. In this case I decided that I needed to move a line. I was using a larger needle for the Aurifil (size 80) and it left these huge, disfiguring holes after I ripped out my stitches.
I was working with cotton sateen which means you have these “floater” threads on top that give the sheen. On a whim I tried simply physically coaxing the fibers back into place by drawing a pin and a seam ripper across the separated fibers and look how much that simple step helped! Later when I wet the fabric to remove the markings, the fibers moved back into their original place like I expected. You couldn’t tell that I had removed any stitches-yesss!
I wanted this to hang very straight, like a painting would. I created a tiny rod pocket at the bottom of the quilt and inserted a thin metal rod. The rod is zinc coated and will not degrade the fabric. Even so, the pocket will keep the rod from coming into contact with the quilt.
And oh yeah, there’s another nearly completed quilt in the scrap heap: I echo quilted the entire background, began laying in the grasses and I added way too many. After ripping out lots and lots of stitching, the surface of the quilt was too damaged to be repaired. Sigh.
So I had a great day and received two acceptances. Lest you think my head might become a little big, you will chuckle at an upcoming post which will be about…things not quite so successful!