Last week I wrote about how my friend and dyer Linda Waddle kindly offered to over-dye my languishing whole cloth trapunto quilt. The silk had faded from a delightful icy blue to a putrid yellow/blue/gray mix. Linda and I rolled on thickened dye as a Hail Mary move – what did I have to lose? Here are the results:
The silk took the dye well. You just can’t see it in my photo but it is a wee bit splotchy but I am fine with that and I think it adds interest. I had to have Hubby hold it up for me. Every photo I took indoors yielded a horrible yellow/blue unnatural color. For some reason, taking it outside as the sun was beginning to set brought out the color. Expert photographer I am not.
Some areas went a little on the purple side but again, happy with that too, kinda like it.
Two areas had bright red spots about 1/4″. I am confident that I can fix that with ink or something so I’m fine with that too!
There were areas that had water soluble thread that of course disappeared during the dyeing process. It will be tricky to quilt those areas. The surrounding thread has been dyed so I will need to search to find the right thread and color for those areas. Some of them lie right next to an already quilted area so it needs to match. The areas that still had water soluble thread were randomly spread across the piece.
The monogram is more prominent with the new deeper blue and I am pleased with that.
The backing was cotton so of course it took up the dye differently. It is definitely more splotchy on the back but I like that too!
I hope you can see the undyed part next to the dyed part. I will need to simplify that border. It is based on the fabulous edge I saw on this antique quilt I saw at the International Quilt Museum while attending the SAQA Conference in Lincoln, NE. It was divine! But this is too complex for me and would take me 6 months to finish I think.
I love what Kathy Stuart did on this quilt! But I don’t quite understand what she did and I’m thinking it is above my existing skill set. I can modify this and it will still be gorgeous!
This was supposed to show the splotches but I’m not sure you can really tell.
A note about the color of the photos. The actual quilt is not that dark, it’s about 2 grades lighter. It is a pure blue and it’s gorgeous! The silk did not lose its sheen and I love the slight gradations of color and the occasional purpley parts.
How do I feel about the quilt now? I’m not sure yet. There is A LOT of work to be done yet on this quilt. I will need to make a decision about that complex edge. The fabulous edge treatment on the antique quilt is one of the primary inspirations for this quilt. It will be a little tricky and maybe even annoying to finish up those random areas where the water soluble thread washed out. And If I could go back in time I would have used ruler work for the dots. At the time I was purposefully going for a more organic look but I now wish I had just pulled out the ruler and used it. There is not a whole lot I would do differently with the design.
So I have three choices: do nothing with it, finish it from its current state or remake it. The first and last choices just seem wrong so I suspect I will want to finish it. I. do. love. this quilt! And I am thrilled that it has been resurrected with Linda’s expert hands. I think it needs to age a bit until I get excited about it again. Once I decide on that edge, I think I’ll be ready to go.
I’ll be linking up with Nina-Marie’s Off the Wall Friday with a bunch of other good links!