NOTE: I had written last week that I did not intend to write a newsletter or blog on Christmas (next Thursday!!), but I may change my mind. I’m going to wait and see.
Also, In this week’s newsletter I will include an article explaining the closing of the International Quilt Association which sponsored part of the Houston quilt show. The show will go on, so don’t panic. I always include a link in my weekly newsletter to each blog post, so it’s the best way to keep up with me. You can sign up here.
What a fun week! I took South African quilter Telene Jeffrey‘s Inktense class on Saturday and started a whole cloth silk Christmas table runner. I have a bit of a teaching break here and all I want to do is sew, sew, sew!
I’ve taken classes on Inktense before, but I guess I just wasn’t ready for it. Telene’s class hit the spot – I had a blast in class and felt confident that I could start using Inktense in my work. Of course, I have a learning curve to conquer, but I’m on my way! Telene handled a large virtual class with great skill and I loved her teaching style – very clear, well-organized and super approachable and charming. I would love to take another class from her.
I knew enough to not make my class project precious – an important concept! I just played around on an old ruler work class sample, getting a feel for the technique the way Telene taught it. Apparently one thing that beginners like me do is create a mottled effect. I really want to get my colors smoother. I went back in with a Pigma Micron marker to lay down the black lines. I actually like the effect even though it was used to distract from my less-than-perfect Inktense work. Taking notes on the sample was a big help – I already forgot which technique I used in some of the areas.
I decided I wanted to do a Christmas table runner; my Dining Room table needed one. My intent was to use Inktense for color. I had the set of 36 and found it to be lacking in blues, so I ordered the set of 72. Classes are like that – they are most expensive after the class when you start buying stuff to use with the new technique you just learned!
On the samples above, to the left was silk dupioni and to the right was PFD Radiance. The Radiance was figgety so I went with the dupioni.
I ultimately decided I did not want to take a chance using Inktense on something I actually cared about. Putting my new skills to work on dupioni seemed premature. I will simply be free motion quilting my runner. The reverse side is pure white dupioni and I would have done my Inktense work there.
I Misty Fuse baste my quilts and when I pulled out my roll of MF, I realized I was almost out – yikes! I can’t do without, so I immediately ordered more. I buy it by the roll because I use so much of it.
Also, I double-batted this piece. Telene is a long armer and double batts her work, sometimes even triple batts. Also, she is a fan of polyester batting. I’ve double batted before and didn’t care for it, but I wanted to give it another try.
I used Quilters Dream Poly Select and Quilters Select Wool – it gives a solid feel and the stitching really stands out. I don’t know if I’d do a whole quilt this way. I’m always thinking about traveling my quilts and the 2 layers are quite thick. It would take up a lot of room in my suitcase. And I’m not sure yet about poly batting for anything besides trapunto, so the jury is out.
I drafted my circle using Sue Heinz’s Circleliner tool, The Best Tool I have ever found to make any size circle from 2″ to 24″, in 1/8″ increments! It’s just a great tool. Heard about it on The Quilt Show, the best source for information and inspiration on anything quilty.
All this is free hand free motion. It is scary to fmq circles free hand. But this was big enough that I had no circle template to use with my ruler foot. I like the way it turned out. It’s kinda sorta supposed to reference a snowflake which has 6 sides.
A closer look at the center…
and the back. There will be some grid work somewhere on this runner. I am making it up as I go.
It was no small task for me to figure out the central design. I accidentally fused the layers together before marking. (I used a light box for the corner motifs.) I had to pry the layers apart, mark, and then pin baste. I didn’t want to use heat to re-fuse the layers, given that I had markings on the fabric. I never pin baste unless I have to.
And these little guys will embellish the center sides, and will have some berries added to them:
It was fun to make the berries. Love me my applipops! I have a ways to go but I’m decent and fairly fast.
I’m so excited to have time to sew! I hope to accomplish a lot this week and next. Since Christmas will be sedate and lonely, I should be able to indulge!
I’ll be linking up to: